Degrees of social interaction
I came across an interesting blog posting on social interaction and the concept of a business becoming a social business. Max Lieberman writes:
Here are examples of the 6 Degrees of Social Interaction from the Business’s Perspective. Since this is a continuum, as you progress from 1-6, the characteristics suggest that the Business is becoming a Social Business.
- Here is my press release, look at me – broadcast
- Register and Download my whitepaper – broadcast with bait
- We are listening, but I am really waiting to talk – pretending
- We are blogging and hoping the message makes it out untarnished – comment, nicely please
- The Facebook Fanpage is set up, I hope everyone is nice – <fingers crossed>
- A community of conversations Many to Many – objective
What I like about his simple, accessible message is it is a reminder that deploying social media will be little more than the same old marketing stuff unless we make a concentrated effort for dialog with one another. This holds true for organizations in all sectors as well as governments.
Understanding one another calls for the risk of dialog. That means being open to criticism, giving up territory, finding new territory with others that is likely a better destination than the worlds we create all by our lonesome.