Snapshot: Alberta’s NonProfit/Voluntary Sector
If you are interested in Alberta’s NonProfit/Voluntary Sector Initiative, please take a look at the ANVSI webpages at Alberta Culture and Community Spirit. Click HERE. Below are some statistics about the sector, which tell a significant story of the impact of what is often called “the third sector.”
The Alberta Nonprofit / Voluntary Sector…
• Includes 19,000 charities and nonprofit organizations including community associations, recreational sports groups, cultural, health and social service organizations;
• Employs 176,000 Albertans;
• 2.5 million volunteers contribute 449 million hours to community service;
• Over 160,000 Albertans serve on boards of directors;
• The annual economic impact of Alberta’s Nonprofit/Voluntary Sector is estimated at $9.6 billion.
• 48 per cent of Albertans volunteer an average of 175 hours per year;
• 79 per cent of Albertans donated an average of $500 annually towards charities and nonprofit organizations. The Canadian average for the same period was $400.
Sources: National Survey of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Organizations (NSNVO), 2004
Canada Survey of Giving, Volunteering and Participating (CSGVP), 2004